03 November 2010

lumpia

Chamorro or Guamanian people eat a lot of Filipino food.  Growing up, our Filipino neighbors often brought us lumpia, which is like a thin egg roll.  I was brave and I tried it.  I used this recipe for lumpia (it has good instructional photos too).  I thought the 1 heaping teaspoon of pepper was a little much, though and would use half that next time. 

And I agree that they need to be the paper-separated kind of wrappers -- I can't imagine trying to pull those apart if they were not separated.  I used the Simex brand wrappers (see pic to side).  I bought the same wrappers in the recipe, which I found at Grand Mart, an international store that has EVERYTHING! 

I also made the banana lumpia (instructions at the end of the above recipe), but I did not use any butter (above pic).  All the lumpia were delicious.  I also made some fried rice, not that it's a chamorran food, but it sounded like it went together.  And we drank mango juice, since a lot of mangos and fresh fruits are eaten in Guam.

For dipping sauce, I made this, from "BarbarainncChef" on foodnetwork.com:  "I got this recipe from a Lumpia restaurant: use equal parts of sugar, vinegar, and banana ketchup. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Maybe use 1/4 or 1/2 of each to start with, depending how much sauce you need. Banana Ketchup is found at Asian Markets. After asking the owner about the recipe, she wouldn't share. One day she wasn't there and the couple working gave it to me!!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. Oh, man! You just made my mouth water! I used to love that lumpia on New Years. . . And I am totally intrigued by Banana Ketchup. Are you going to be able to use it for anything else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana ketchup was not the greatest. It was too much like ketchup but with a funny taste. We just threw it away since I did not find other uses for it. :)

      Delete
  2. What an excellent blog...I cant believe I never knew! And btw, we need to chat about architecture...you wont believe who designed my jr high school!

    ReplyDelete